Before you turn 60 years old, your 401k plan has a set up that you may want to take advantage of. In the past, there has been a lot of middle-aged taxpayers who were scared to open certain bank accounts. Nowadays, those thoughts of being financially taken advantage of are not what investors are thinking about. In fact, if you have contributed to a 401k plan, you can have in-service withdrawals happen before you turn 60. Primarily, these withdrawals are those who are still employed at that age.Whenever you are starting a 401k plan, it’s best to ask about all of the benefits of having the account before starting your investing process. There are some advantages and disadvantages that you would have to think about. For instance, the advantages of taking charge of your 401k through in-service withdrawals are:
- greater flexibility
- benefits for beneficiaries
- exceptions on certain penalties
- protection of the money you have invested or earned over the account
- if you have stock in your company, this could be a great retirement plan
- early retirement could be an option
- 401k plans will move to another employer when you turn 55 or older with no penalty
When choosing to find out about the disadvantages that an in-service withdrawal contains, you may run into the following issues:
- If you have an IRA, your penalties will take place if you are under 60 years old
- moving your money from a 401k plan to an IRA changes the rules for your account
- 401k protects you from creditors that would want to be paid through your account
There are different employers that will offer in-service withdrawal plans. On the other hand, there are employers that don’t offer this valuable money-making tool. For advice on investing, you can speak to someone in the administrative department at your job. From there, you should be guided to the right solution. For more information, you can research 401k plans at contolling your assets.
When an employee qualifies for an in-service withdrawal, it can be looked at as an early retirement contribution to themselves. In fact, you can use that money to vacation and travel without worrying about penalties at all. Additionally, you don’t have to worry about tax laws diminishing what you’ve earned. Each employer that offers this in-service withdrawal plan has ordering rules. If you want to read about in-service withdrawal plans a little more, you can research the topic at in-service withdrawl.
Believe it or not, your employer will start helping you plan an in-service withdrawal through your 401k at 59½ years old. You could feel your best days once you plan the withdrawals. For affluent individuals, a 401k plan could be the very reason why you start a new adventure or look for a new trade. Moreover, there could be a new lease on life for you as well as your family.